lastmoondance

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Love in the time of MySpace

There is a meme floating around LiveJournal and presumably elsewhere in the blogosphere that goes something like this:

There's at least 1 person on your LiveJournal that wants to date you or sleep with you.

so lets play...FRIENDS w/BENEFITS

The rules are simple...

If you want to date the person who posts this send them a msg saying "I'm yours"

If you just want to sleep with the person and stay friends, send them a message that says "I'd hit it"

SCARED??? You ONLY live ONCE!

Now I'm all for anything that gives people a push into a relationship, or casual sex, or abject misery, or whatever their lifestyle choice is. As much of a starry-eyed romantic as I am, one has to be proactive about such things. After all, as Lucy Liu told Calista Flockheart on an episode of Ally McBeal, you aren't going to find your soulmate while you are both reaching for the same copy of Balzac in the bookstore. While I am usually loath to take advice from the oeuvre of David E. Kelley, one takes ones life lessons where one can find them. It's good advice too; you can't spend all day sitting around Borders waiting for someone of the opposite sex to snatch up the only copy of Le Père Goriot, assuming they even have one in stock. Most of my hobbies are solitary and/or geeky, and so if I had to rely on serendipity the odds would be a lot worse than they already are.

So in theory this seems like a harmless, reasonable idea. In execution, not so much. No offense to the people on my friends list who have passed this on, but what the hell? Is our culture become so debased that "I'd hit that" is our new mating call? Are people checking their inbox waiting for some hottie to email them with those timeless words? Nothing wrong with encouraging people to write to their internet crush. (Though, speaking from experience, writing your internet crush doesn't work. Either that, or I write a really crappy letter.) So don't hesitate to send that email, but please, whatever you do, don't use the phrase "I'd hit that". Not even in an ironic way. Just don't.